Wednesday, November 18, 2009

baby devyn

Devyn Jae Cortez
born november 11, 2009 (at 3:13am)
also the birthday of her great-grandma tina, and granpa rasband, and aunty amanda + a dozen other people we know who have a birthday on 11/11.
7lbs 4oz
hospital height 21inches
doctors height 19.5 inches
grandpas height 19.75 but i could stretch her to 20






birth story:
skip to next picture if you don't want details

i had a doctors appointment at 10 on tuesday. she checked me and i was at a 3. then later that day i started having contractions. nothing regular and nothing really painful but they were always there. i decided maybe the kids should spend the night at grandmas and convinced mario to miss his test! we walked around at the hospital just in case they started getting worse but didn't check in. after ashleigh i was a little freaked out and worried about a home (or car) birth. contractions started getting less frequent and strong so we went home. i of course was upset and cried and went to bed. then about midnight i had a couple REALLY painful contractions but still nothing regular, and it seemed like they stopped all together. so i went back to bed. but then i had some more so i woke up mario and said maybe we should get ready to go and the second we got up to go they were coming strong right on top of each other. so around 1:20ish we left the house. mario tried speeding but hitting bumps and slamming on breaks doesn't feel good when you're having a contraction so i made him slow down.

we parked and i was determined to walk to the delivery floor myself. we finally got to triage around 1:50. the contractions were coming faster ans stronger but i didn't feel like i was going to die. they hooked me up to all the monitors and started asking all their silly questions. meanwhile the midwife came in to check me i was at a 4-5 (this was going to take FOREVER i thought) then more questions. "do you smoke? drink? on a pain scale of 0-10 how much pain are you in right now?" if i can't answer because it hurts so bad what level is that? finally 45 minutes later i get to go to the delivery room. again i'm determined to walk there myself.

the delivery room:
i try to get to the bed. they nurse tells me they want to draw blood and put in an iv start just in case. so i finally get the bed sit so the guy can take my blood. 3 contractions later that's done. then she wants to put in the iv stuff. 5 contractions later that's done. the midwife goes to start a bath and i can't move from the bed. i thought my pain was at a 10 before!!! a few contractions later i tell the midwife i feel like pushing she checks me and i'm at a 9!! she says to do what feels good. so i push a little and my water finally breaks then it feels a lot better. 3-4 contractions later devyn's here and crying. i tell mario maybe i don't want to do this again it hurts.











so far she's super good. she just sleeps and eats. and can this little girl eat!!! she won't be little very long and that makes me sad. but she sure is sweet and loves to be held when she's sleeping. and holding her while she sleeps is my favorite thing to do right now. so sorry for the lake of pictures. posts, and updates. i'm just holding my sleeping baby.

but i feel great!! much better then i did a week or 2 ago. elijah and ashleigh love their baby. and mario and i fight over who gets to hold her and take a nap on the couch. life is great!!!

10 comments:

Katrina Rasband said...

i'm crying! no surprise though! she is so beautiful! looks like her big sister! can't wait to get all my baby hugs and kisses in next week!

Welcome to Newman's World said...

Oh Michelle Congrats she is perfect and I'm glad you feel good what a Blessing..... It almost makes me want another one lol. Enjoy holding your little baby girl that was my fave oh and the smell of a new born how sweet....

Trisha said...

so so beautiful michelle. there is nothing like holding them when they sleep is there? well except when they start making their beautiful little noises and looking right into your eyes when you are holding them....

Jamie Lamb said...

aaaAAWWW! Such a heavenly girl! I'm glad you guys get another little bundle to love. Can you believe our "baby" girl will start nursery next month?! Babies are so great, enjoy!

Jacki said...

Congratulations! Beautiful pictures. I don't know why they bother measuring newborns - you get a different height every time! At Teya's one month appointment they measured her at 24.5"! I asked them to try again and they got 23.25".

Max and Maureen said...

Congrats!!!! Max and I miss you guys a lot!!!!

Melanie said...

Marshall and I were talking about how she's just the perfect little baby. She's really adorable. Good job guys.

Aubrey Leong said...

CONGRATS Mario and Michelle! I hope you all are doing great!

Jen Kesler said...

Devyn is beautiful, Michelle! Have fun cuddling her...it goes way too fast!! I hope you and your little family are doing great.

Natalie said...

Congrats Michelle! You are just like me, after Levi- first thing I said was- I'm never doing that again!